Top 5: What Are The Best New Games Launching In August 2018?
What are some of the best new games launching this month? Here are our top 5 titles to whet your appetite!
Monster Hunter: World (PC/Steam)
Release Date: August 9th
The wait for the critically-acclaimed Monster Hunter: World on PC is almost over! Originally planned for Fall 2018, Capcom has now confirmed it will be arriving on August 9th, 2018. The title that released for consoles earlier this year has since gone on to become Capcom’s best-selling game in company history with over 8 million units shipped globally. In this entry, players take on larger than life monsters in a variety of vast, living, breathing ecosystems either solo or with up to three other hunters via online co-op, complete with drop-in functionality, a first for the series. A new trailer has been released today to mark the upcoming PC release which can be downloaded here.
In Monster Hunter: World, follow the journey of the elder dragons as they begin their once a decade migration across the sea to a land known as the New World in an event referred to by inhabitants as the Elder Crossing. As part of the Guild’s Research Commission, players must embark on a grand journey to this massive, mysterious land and uncover the secrets behind this phenomenon. As hunters set out on their quests, the Commission’s sights are set on Zorah Magdaros, a colossal elder dragon that rises from the earth like a volcano.
Future updates will add new content and gameplay features. Updates and fixes made in other platform versions will be gradually applied to the PC version. The Event Quest schedule will differ from other platforms so fans should stay tuned to official Capcom channels for more details on additional content release dates.
Yakuza 0 (PC)
Release Date: Out Now!
The very first game of the Yakuza series to come to PC, Yakuza 0 brings the glitz, glam and piles of cash of 1980s Japan to Steam today! Watch the launch trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o_ABGYCj8o
A prequel to the long-running series, Yakuza 0 is the perfect entry point to the Yakuza series. With the legendary Dragon of Dojima, Kazuma Kiryu, and series regular Goro Majima, embark on a rich saga, experiencing their gripping origin stories of moral dilemmas as young yakuza.
Explore the neon-lit streets of Kamurocho (Tokyo) and Sotenbori (Osaka), beating piles of cash out of street thugs (literally) whilst using three different fighting styles. Help civilians in over 100 substories, run your own business and immerse yourself in 1980s Japan with SEGA’s arcade classics, telephone clubs, discos, pocket circuit car races and more.
Yakuza 0 introduces enhanced features for PC, including 4K resolutions, an unlocked framerate, as well as full controller support and remappable keys for the ultimate Yakuza 0 experience.
Phantom Doctrine (PC)
Release Date: August 14th
Phantom Doctrine’s deep single-player mode offers two different perspectives: experience the story as a KGB counterintelligence operative or a renegade CIA commando. Players can unlock New Game Plus runs of the game’s 40-hour campaign with additional story content, or challenge rivals around the world in ruthless one-on-one online multiplayer matches. Phantom Doctrine captures the subtle tension and intrigue of classic Cold War spy films with atmospheric visuals and an unnerving soundtrack from award-winning composer Marcin Przybylowicz (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt).
The Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game (PC/Steam)
Release Date: August 28th
The Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game is inspired by the best-selling The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, a Living Card Game® from Fantasy Flight Games. This digital adaptation is inspired by the original tabletop game, taking the best aspects of that experience and adapting them for the digital medium while adding all new features in a player-vs-AI experience built from the ground-up, featuring:
- An intuitive user interface
- Unique and fully detailed environments depicting the world of Middle-earth
- Fully-narrated story interludes
- Branching narrative paths based on player choices
- Visual and audio effects tied to every hero, card, and action
- A dynamic AI that adapts to player’s triumphs—and mistakes
The Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game delivers an immersive narrative-driven experience that will connect players with Tolkien’s fiction like never before. Beyond Early Access, The Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game will be expanded to support co-op play, allowing two players to bring their fellowships together and fight through quests side-by-side!
Overcooked 2 (Nintendo Switch)
Release Date: August 7th
Players who pre-order Overcooked 2 will receive Kevin’s “Too Many Cooks” pack which gives them access to five exclusive chefs at launch: Calico Cat chef, Monkey chef, Unicorn chef, Walrus chef and Alien chef!
What’s new in Overcooked 2:
- Online multiplayer! For the first time you can cook up a storm with up to four players in both local and online multiplayer
- Throwing! Throwing is now an official game mechanic, allowing you to toss ingredients to your fellow chefs or even straight into the pan/blender/onto the floor
- New level mechanics! Overcooked 2 sees the introduction of new game mechanics including moving walkways, controllable platforms and even portals!
- Dynamic levels! Throwing you from the frying pan and into the fire, dynamic levels will change around you, offering a new challenge to overcome as the recipes and levels themselves change!
- Interactive world map! As you drive, sail and soar your way around the map in the Onion King’s amphibious air bus you will open up new areas using hidden buttons around the world
- Kitchens! From the neon lights of a sushi restaurant to the bubbling pots of a Wizard school kitchen, there are plenty of places to cook up a storm in Overcooked 2!
- Recipes! From spaghetti to sushi and pancakes to pizza, recipes both old and new will need to be cooked to perfection (or at least not burnt to a crisp!) New recipes mean new ingredients and new equipment so even the most well-seasoned Overcooked players will be challenged.
- Chefs! Overcooked 2 introduces a whole host of new of chefs to play in the kitchen including an eagle, mouse, beaver and what kitchen is complete without an octopus!